Saturday, July 28, 2007

Reunion

Last Saturday was my 10 year high school reunion. It was nice seeing people that I haven't seen in 10 years and seeing what they have been up to, but it was also nice to go home and know I won't talk to most of them for another 10 years (if I decide to go to the 20 year reunion). It was like a night of high school all over again, I've tried for 10 years to forget most of that junk. What was most interesting, to me at least, is the fact that almost everyone was married or in a serious relationship. Out of about the 60 graduates that made it to the reunion there were 5 of us not married, that's 12%, so 88% of the people at the reunion were married. I have to admit that I'm incredibly glad I'm not married. I can't see myself having to think of another person; I've discovered lately that I am very selfish. However, seeing as I'm fast approaching 30, I am starting to wonder if I will ever get married. Last month I sat down and started a list. If I ever do get married, what type of husband do I want to have? So, I've decided that I'm going to post it here so when/if I start dating someone, those of you who actually read my blog can hold me accountable.

First and foremost he must be a man of God. I want a man who is going to lead me, who will be the head of the household who will support me as I will support him. Someone who, being the head of the household, will not let me take control or be completely independent of everyone.


He must be honest and trustworthy. I've had so many men in my life who have lied and told half-truths or just avoided the sensitive subjects. I want someone who will not be afraid to tell me that I really shouldn’t go out looking like that. Someone who will call me on my bs, who when I say I’m doing ok will say “how are you really doing?”


He needs to be smart. Not necessarily book smart, but he needs to make me think. I need to be challenged both spiritually and intellectually. I don’t want someone in the same field as me. I want someone in a totally different area, someone who will help me grow in areas that I wouldn’t grow in on my own.




He needs to make me laugh. I’m much too serious if left to my own devices. I want someone who will bring out the kid in me, who seems to be hiding in the deep dark recesses of my being.


He needs to be sensitive and appreciate the beauty that God has given us. For all of my tough exterior (which hasn’t been that tough lately) I am extremely sensitive and need someone who will take that into consideration when being completely honest with me. Someone who can sit with me in a comfortable silence to watch the sun set (or rise); someone who can stare at clouds on a clear spring day and dream up stories for the shapes we see.




Also, I want to be courted. I want someone who will make me feel feminine, much too often I feel like “one of the guys”. I want someone who will open doors for me, who will place his hand on the small of my back to lead me into a room; someone who won’t be ashamed to hold my hand in public or let me place my arm through his.

This is what I’ve come up with so far. If he had some musical ability it wouldn’t hurt, but that one’s not a requirement.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home